What Is Information Technology
Information Technology means the use of hardware, software, services, and supporting infrastructure to manage and deliver information using voice, data, and video.
What is the main role of information technology?
Information technology facilitates storing and regaining huge information quickly with the help of hardware and software networks and workstations at lesser costs. Information technology enables combination and configuration of data to create distinctly new information which aids in making quick decisions.
Examples of Information Technology
- Telephone and radio equipment and switches used for voice communications.
- Traditional computer applications that include data storage and programs to input, process, and output the data.
- Software and support for office automation systems such as word processing and spreadsheets, as well as the computer to run them.
- Users’ PCs and software.
- Server hardware and software used to support applications such as electronic mail/groupware, file and print services, database, application/ web servers, storage systems, and other hosting services.
- Data, voice, and video networks and all associated communications equipment and software.
- Peripherals directly connected to computer information systems used to collect or transmit audio, video or graphic information, such as scanners and digitizers.
- Voice response systems that interact with a computer database or application.
- The state radio communications network.
- Computers and network systems used by teachers, trainers, and students for educational purposes
- “Open/integrated” computer systems that monitor or automate mechanical or chemical processes and also store information used by computer applications for analysis and decision-making, such as a building management system.
- All operating costs, equipment and staff time associated with supporting the technology infrastructure of the agency, possibly including items excluded above, such as video equipment used for technology training that is included in the information systems cost center for the agency
Type of information technology
- Computer Programmer
- Web Developer
- Support Specialist
- IT Technician
- Network Engineer
- Database Administration
- Software Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Data Scientist
- IT security specialist